Sunday, March 10, 2013

Videos from Chad Makela Group Gig

Here are some videos from a recent gig on February 13 with Chad Makela's group.  Chad is a marvelous musician and is the 'first call' baritone sax player in Vancouver, but surprised me by coming with his alto for this gig...and what a pleasant surprise it was.  I love his sound on this horn and his unique linear concept. The tunes were also a lot of fun to play. This was the first appearance for this particular band and I was sight-reading the music, but I think it worked out very well.  It was an exciting night and a really enthusiastic and intensely listening crowd.

I am very fortunate to play with Dave Robbins (drums) a lot.  Look for an exciting announcement about the Dave Robbins Electric Band CD and a very big gig in the near future. He sounds great on these videos and brings his usual high levels of energy and enthusiasm.  Darren Radtke and I were students in college together 20 years ago and used to play together all the time but for some reason have only played a handful of times since then.  We both felt that Something of our old connection came though on this gig. He is such a beautifully melodic bass player.

This was also my first attempt at video recording and editing.  This is pretty simple at this point as I am just recording single-camera video and 2-track stereo audio on separate devices and syncing them up with Adobe Premiere.  I learned a lot on this one so the next videos should be better.  My friend Lawrence Wu has been doing some multi-camera video at some of the other shows at Presentation House Studio and I may try my hand at those soon.








0 comments:

Post a Comment