Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Alexandrov/Burrows/Taylor

I'm playing a gig tonight at Presentation House Studio with one of my favorite groups, a trio with Bulgarian-Canadian pianist and keyboard player, Kristian Alexandrov and my old friend Stan Taylor on drums.  A little over a year ago, Kristian showed up at one of my quartet gigs and introduced himself and gave me a CD.  After hearing him play I immediately thought of how much fun it would be to play in a trio with Kristian.  He is a virtuoso keyboard player and a great composer as well.  It always amazes me when pianists, organists, and keyboard players can simultaneously improvise melodic lines and accompany themselves by playing independent bass lines.  Kristian does this extremely well and has a great groove with Stan.  He's a very versatile player who is comfortable doing rock, funk, jazz, classical, R&B; you name it and he can do it authentically with energy and passion. As I've mentioned in previous posts, Vancouver really is loaded with great players and I feel very lucky to be able to make music with so many of them.
I'm really looking forward to the gig tonight.

Here's a youtube video of a gig from last year featuring our hit version of Besame Mucho in 5/4 time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment