Friday, January 20, 2012

Dave Robbins Electric Band Gig #2

Just following up from the last posting...

Our gig at Capilano U this morning was fantastic.  Hugh Fraser was able to make it over from Victoria at last.  I had almost forgotten what a force of nature Hugh is on the bandstand and how much energy he brings to music.  He just gives his whole self over to the experience.  Playing with him again reminded me that his all-out approach was really influential on my playing at a very early stage.  I just realized now that the gig we played today was in the same room where I met Hugh as a student 21 years ago.  His intense energy and commitment made a huge impact on me at that time and made me re-think what it meant to play improvised music.  Some of my favourite phrases from Hugh are "More is more!" and "Too much is never enough!"

Kerry, Dave, and Evan were absolutely great just like Wednesday night and showed some other asides of their amazing musicality.  I think we played the tunes a little differently; a little less precise perhaps, but with more energy and wildness, almost achieving a kind of Mahavishnu "Birds of Fire" kind of vibe at times.

The room was absolutely packed with students and people were lined up the hall hoping to get a seat.  What a privilege to play with people of this calibre for a packed house!  Thank you Dave for setting this up.

0 comments:

Post a Comment