Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Dave Robbins Electric band studio session complete!

This afternoon we finished up the studio work for Dave Robbins' Electric Band project.  Working with these guys on various gigs over the past six months has been just fantastic.  The sessions went very well indeed with a relaxed feeling in the band and no technical hangups of any kind to distract us.

I am always a little apprehensive about recording creative music in a studio situation with headphones and people in different rooms etc.  I'm the first to admit that this kind of playing under an audio microscope makes me uncomfortable.  I needn't have worried though as Brad made it all very smooth and easy, setting up gear and getting amazing sounds with no fuss in very little time.  Brad was also a good influence for me in that he exudes a sense of calm and a tremendous confidence about everything he plays. Of course that is probably easier when you are the kind of genius/virtuoso that he is, but I found it quite remarkable nonetheless and a good lesson for me.  Our producer Bill Coon (also one of our city's finest guitarists), likewise puts out a calming and centered vibe.  Dave played amazingly well and seems to be able to generate a 'live' performance energy and enthusiasm in the studio.  I was grateful for that and hope I was able to connect with some of that energy.

Kerry is an old studio pro and that fact shone through on every take.  His playing was incredibly consistent and grooving as anyone could want. Evan really surprised me with his variety of approach from tune to tune and the wildness of his improvising.  It is kind of a cliche to talk about one of the Arntzen boys having a natural feeling for music (just about every member of the family going back to Grandpa Lloyd plays music)  but it is absolutely true.  Like Dave, he seems very at home in the studio despite his youth.


I'm really looking forward to the record coming out.  I deliberately didn't listen much to playbacks so as to be surprised when I hear the CD.  I'll keep you posted as to the release.

 Left is a cool picture that Kerry took and below is a shot of the band at the Cellar a couple of weeks ago (photo by Vincent Lim). Other studio shots from Kerry may be forthcoming....

0 comments:

Post a Comment