Monday, January 10, 2011

Collaboration with Jason Thornton

I'm playing at Presentation House Studio this Wednesday evening with Dr. Jason Thornton.  Jason is a very fine saxophonist and music educator from Sidney, Australia.  He's up in these parts skiing with his family and enjoying what in Vancouver passes for a Canadian Winter.  Jason contacted me through my website and we decided to set up a gig while he's here to try making some music.  I just rehearsed yesterday with Jason and the band (Brent Gubbels on bass and Joe Poole on drums) and it looks like it will be a lot of fun.  He has a very thick and warm sound, a very direct and emotional approach to the tunes, and seems comfortable playing just about anything. Like a lot of Australians I have known, Jason is a very friendly and gregarious type and seems really to enjoy life.  On the gig we'll play a few standards, a few of my tunes, and do a little free playing as well. 

I especially enjoyed hearing Joe and Brent yesterday.  Their approach is very different from the players in my quartet, Stan Taylor and Al Johnston, but it is great to try some different sounds and grooves with such fine musicians. They are one of the best rhythm sections around and make it very easy to play music.   Brent has one of the best upright bass sounds I have ever heard and seems to be able to amplify the instrument in a very 'transparent' way.   Joe has recently acquired a bunch of cymbals that belonged to Elvin Jones and boy does Joe know how to make them sizzle.  At the rehearsal he was playing the ride cymbal that we are fairly certain was played on Coltrane's "Crescent".  For a Coltrane nut like me this was a magical sound and feeling!

Joe and Brent and I have been friends for years and they are also great guys off the bandstand.  As I said in my last post, the friendship and community feeling with other players is one of the big rewards of being a musician.  I really love the fact that the jazz tradition provides these opportunities to play with people from anywhere in the world with very little notice or rehearsal. People who have never met before can become fast friends in just one gig when the condifitons are right.  I always enjoy making these connections with visiting musicians and when I'm abroad I do my best to do some playing.  I'm looking forward to this one!

0 comments:

Post a Comment