Monday, January 17, 2011

Gig with Dylan Van der Schyff and Clyde Reed

I'm playing Wednesday evening at Presentation House Studio with Dylan Van der Schyff (drums) and Clyde Reed (bass).  I've known Dylan for over 20 years now.  He was the drummer in a band called Sound and Fury that I co-led with Len Aruliah in the early 1990s.  We worked together in a number of other ad-hoc musical situations around that time and then, in 1997, I left Vancouver for a few years and only saw Dylan on occasional visits back home.  While I was away, Dylan kept very busy making very fine music with other great players all over Europe, the US and Canada.  He is an extremely creative and intelligent musician with a tremendous capacity for listening and intense interaction.  These are also qualities shared by Clyde Reed.  When I moved back to Vancouver, I somehow started playing a bit with Clyde and now we have become very frequent collaborators in music, academic writing, and as co-presenters of the Presentation House Series.  Clyde has been playing improvised music since before I was born and has turned out to be a very important mentor for me in many ways.  I'm looking forward to continuing my musical explorations with Clyde and reconnecting with Dylan. Music starts at 8:30pm.  Address is 333 Chesterfield St in North Vancouver.  $8 at the door.

0 comments:

Post a Comment